Bonjour Timo

Timo is a 27-year-old guy who is giving the blog thing a whirl. He just wants people to know what he's up to.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Madness of it All


The first March Madness match starts in about 36 hours. It all started with Selection Sunday on the 12th when the 34 teams that were not automatic qualifiers were announced. Wisconsin received a 9 seed playing its first game sin Philadelphia. I looked into getting tickets, but the first batch of tickets go to current UW season ticket subscribers and program donors first. I checked the online brokers and I can't justify spending $150+ for nosebleed seats. So I'll just have to watch it on TV. I'm a little nervous though because I feel like UW has lost lots of its steam since winning over Ohio State. And now I’m torn. In fact, I'm actually undecided in whether UW will win its first game against Arizona. I'm a horrible alumnus. And now in writing that, a sudden shadow of guilt and shame has clouded my being. I must predict the Badgers will win against Arizona! And can you imagine if UW did win, defeated Villanova, and made it to the Sweet Sixteen held in Minneapolis this year? The Metrodome would be on fire with Badger red and the roar of the crowd would be heard from as far as Madison.
I’m certainly no NCAA hoops expert, though I must tell everyone that I won my office pool last year of about 15 people. No money was collected last year so as to encourage more participants, so all I won was some bragging rights, and that doesn’t buy crap.
My brackets are subject to change, but these teams are currently in my Elite Eight and my Final Four (bolded): Duke, Iowa, Gonzaga, Pittsburgh, UConn, Michigan State, Boston College, and Florida.
I'm tempted to pick teams based on the way I'd like the tournament to play out. For example, I'd love for Duke to lose in the third round, but I'm putting Duke in the Final Four anyway. Same with UConn. They won the NCAA tournament two years ago and I'd prefer to put a sleeper Big Ten team in its place like MSU.
Anyway, the story about March Madness is that anything can happen which is what makes it so fun.

4 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just completed my brackets. Final Four: Illinois, Wisconsin, SIU, and miracle-working team, Oral Roberts. The final game will be Wisconsin vs. SIU (Oral Roberts will run out of miracles...) SIU will be the big winner this year...I can just feel it. Sorry Badgers. Go Salukis!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Timo said...

Those are not some bad picks this year! One of your better years I'd say. After multiple past attempts to advance from the first round, I think the Salukis might possess the juice to win it all. However, any school with a name like ORAL Roberts is sure to have some tricks up its sleeve.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picks from your older brother, Oral Kent.

Duke
Connecticut
Boston College
Kansas

Duke and UConn to meet in the final with UConn winning. I am officially a soulless follower.

Oral

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, so much for the Salukis once again (and your Badgers, too, I'm afraid). I am now completely out of the brackets, with none of my teams advancing beyond round 2. I am taking heart that a friend had her son (age 4)make the selections by pointing and saying, "This or that?" for each option (not even reading the team names, mind you, ) and he is doing far better than his dad who religiously studies the rankings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home