Bonjour Timo

Timo is a 27-year-old guy who is giving the blog thing a whirl. He just wants people to know what he's up to.

Monday, February 06, 2006

You Made Me Love You


This past weekend, I had the occasion to host my good friend Nate from Minneapolis. Nate pranced throughout New England meeting with finance people to talk about financing the finances to make the finances grow, and he ended his trip in New York for fun times. We gallivanted about the city doing some typical city stuff. At the Museum of Natural History, Nate experienced some shame by paying $1.00 instead of the suggested $14.00 adult admission. I admit I used to feel guilty if I didn't pay at least half the suggested admission, but I got over that the first time I paid $2.00 to visit the Met. Maybe one of these days I'll pay a penny if someone dares me.
I took Nate to Don't Tell Mama, a cabaret club I frequently visit on account of having a friend who is a stand-up comedian. We watched an act I absolutely love, Tommy Femia performing as Judy Garland. It's rather incredible and it's what really introduced me to the music of Judy Garland. Last Saturday's show was especially nice because I sat next to an older woman in her late sixties. The moment Judy came out, the woman's eyes lit up and with almost every song, she released a quiet squeal of delight or she jumped in her seat. After the show, she apologized for being giddy, but stated that she couldn't help herself because the impersonation was so real for her. The performance was fantastic ("Ol' Man River and "Chicago" were sung), but it wasn't quite enough to turn Nate into a Judyhead. Next time I suppose.
We finished Saturday night off at my friend Ted's place. Ted's neighbor no longer needed her electric wheelchair, so Ted asked if he could have it because he’s going to use it for a bit he’s putting together. Anyway, we all took turns riding it. Those things are fun to ride! I felt kind of guilty having so much fun cause you know, those things are supposed to be used as toys. But then I remembered that my friend Kyle’s dad sold medical equipment (something like that) and they used to play wheelchair basketball in their driveway so it didn't seem so bad. Nate was hesitant to ride in the wheelchair, but after we chanted for him to ride it, he did so and loved it. The hardest part was getting him out! I think Nate had a good time. He went to bed after 4:00am two nights in a row, he saw more of Brooklyn than he’s ever seen before, he saw Judy Garland, and he learned how to ride in an electric wheelchair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home