Bonjour Timo

Timo is a 27-year-old guy who is giving the blog thing a whirl. He just wants people to know what he's up to.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Week in Review


This week marked the beginning of Rosh Hashanah, or as I like to call it, Yippee! No School Week! My school was closed on Tuesday and Wednesday, and seeing that I do not have classes on Thursdays or Fridays, this week's been a breeze. Next week I have Yom Kappur off too. Even the weather has been perfect. I wonder why they don't close everything down for the Jewish holidays in Wisconsin?
Monday, I went to Dave's new gig. He is the karaoke master of ceremonies at the Orchid Lounge (11th and A) and the night is called Wild Rice. Free shots when the gong is sounded! Does it get more fun than that? I don't think so. Check it out every Monday at 10:00.
Speaking of Asian themed karaoke fun, I went to the public library on Tuesday and checked out books about China and Southeast Asia. You see, I successfully called my friend Anne who moved to Shanghai with her boyfriend last month to teach English. Her first impressions? Complete culture shock. She's done a fair amount of roadtripping and backpacking around the U.S. and Europe, but she admits to being unprepared for China. She said it took awhile to get used to being the only white person in the neighborhood because this causes the local residents to stare at her in awe. Anne related one story in which she was eating in a restaurant and looked out the window. Three street cleaners had rested their chins on the top of their broomhandles and just smiled and gazed at her. Anne waved hello and they continued to maintain that position for twenty minutes until they left. The food is unique. No Great Wall of China Buffet here. She usually eats in the neighborhood, but none of the menus are written in English nor are there any pictures. She ate soup that she thought contained tofu, but learned later that it was actually solidified chicken blood. Hearing stories like that one now means I want to visit China! So (fingers crossed), I'll be heading over in January. Interesting: Anne cannot access my blog in China. While I realize most of my blog is engulfed in controversy, I doubt it's enough to dismantle the Chinese Communist Party! 86 the censorship already people! Anne is in the works to start a blog similar to mine so I will link it when it becomes available.
On Thursday, New Yorkers were greeted by a terrorist plot! And then they carried their day on like normal. I like how the people who don't live here–think Mississippi, Utah, Texas(not Austin)–are the ones who get all riled up the most.

Patty Wetterling is running for the U.S. Senate in Minnesota!; The Packers continue to suck. their new logo here; Look how corrupt the House of Representatives became today. This truly makes me sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home