Bonjour Timo

Timo is a 27-year-old guy who is giving the blog thing a whirl. He just wants people to know what he's up to.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

DeafNation in da House


My parents recently sent me an article from www.deafnation.com, the premiere source for the deaf 411. In case anyone does not know, it's a fun little fact that I grew up with deaf parents. DeafNation is currently roadtripping across the country meeting deaf people with interesting lives, and recently, they interviewed Jack Barr who was my dad's best friend at the Wisconsin School for the Deaf. Jack operates Jack Barr Productions, a store in Madison that sells merchandise for the deaf like TTY's, flashing alarm clocks, and even stuffed animals that can sign. Jack also maintains a small museum devoted to deaf culture. I attended the grand opening and it's pretty neat.
In this interview, Jack shows DeafNation aspects of his store and museum. Although there is no sound, you can get an idea of how deaf people communicate with each other.
Bonus: Jack's new video, "Beyond Sex Signs" is out. I'd like to get my hands on this because my parents never taught me these signs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home