Bonjour Timo

Timo is a 27-year-old guy who is giving the blog thing a whirl. He just wants people to know what he's up to.

Friday, September 09, 2005

I Get Political


I haven't really wanted to post anything about what been going on with me in New York because it seems so trivial compared to what's going on in New Orleans. Last week I began school. Should be a challenging semester! Also last week, a couple thousand people died because a bad hurricane hit the coast and the government did a crappy job in helping the survivors.
I read the Post on Monday on my way to school and I couldn't believe some of the stories I was reading. I teared up on the train after I read the story about the husband who lost his wife after he could no longer hold her from the waters that took her life. When I was home in Wisconsin the week before, my dad watched Katrina coverage on the Weather Channel. He told me, "There's a bad hurricane near Florida right now." I didn't really take note of the storm because it always seemed to me the media just exaggerated the severity of every hurricane by showing a weatherman reporting in a strong, but tolerable, storm. I thought, "It's just another hurricane." When I got home from school late Monday night, I went online to find even more depressing stories. The Superdome had become a Deathdome. What? Lakes of urine and shit? Gunshots firing? Young girls raped? Are you sure we're still in the United States? My disbelief resembled the shock I felt when I saw on live television the first twin tower crumble to the ground four years ago. As the days went by, nothing seemed to improve. The horror stories only worsened. I was waiting for help and hope to arrive for the victims.

I've never wanted to make this blog overtly political, but I will for this entry. I don't want to explicitly place blame on anyone because it seems everyone in the government screwed up except for the people who were warning the screw-ups that they better not screw up. But I will say I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed that Condi was too busy buying shoes and watching Spamalot to lend a hand. I'm disappointed that Tom Delay asked a bunch of kids in the Astrodome, "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" I'm disappointed that Barbara Bush said, "This is working very well for them" referring to the thousands who currently own nothing. I'm disappointed that Dennis Hastert thinks New Orleans isn't worth rebuilding. I'm disappointed that a horse guy who was suggested by a college buddy to be the new FEMA director was appointed by Bush. However, I'm most disappointed with Bush. I've never thought he possessed the talent to be a modern day President. He's killer finding the best photo ops though. Despite my criticism, I'll admit that in the days following 9/11, he demonstrated the leadership people needed to see. A tragedy had not only damaged New York City, but the nation as well. Where's that leadership now? Anyone? When Hurricane Hugo hit, Bush Sr. was there 10 hours after the storm hit. His son? Four days. Even worse, it took Bush two days to prematurely end his 5 week vacation (How French!) after the levees broke and began submerging a major American city. Bush had his chance to step up and take action. Hurricane Katrina's damage necessitated the calling of a federal emergency. But it's too late. So many of the people ravaged and displaced by the hurricane have been let down. The American people in general too. It's evident in the latest Newsweek poll. If the people are looking for hope, they're not going to look for it from the President. I think about if I was in class and a terrorist bombed my school, trapping me inside the building. Could I count on Bush to do everything in his power as the President to help me? Pre-Katrina, I would have said yes. After Katrina? Not really. I don't have much hope for Bush and company, but I still have hope that things will be better someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home