Bonjour Timo

Timo is a 27-year-old guy who is giving the blog thing a whirl. He just wants people to know what he's up to.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Give my Regards to Broadway


There's no hiding that one of the reasons I wanted to move to New York is because of the theatre. I may never become a Broadway superstar, but at least I can be an audience member superstar. I've managed to see a handful of shows so far. Last week, I saw the revival of David Mamet's "Glengarry Glen Ross" that won best play revival at the Tonys this year. I won't provide a review why GGR is good, but I will commend Alan Alda. I just think this guy is such a fantastic actor.

With the fall season rapidly approaching, I did a little research into what to expect from the magic that is Broadway. "Lennon" was featured in Newsweek recently. I've heard the reviews have been mediocre. John Lennon...cool guy, but at this point, I'm tired of the jukebox musicals. It started with "Mamma Mia," but now it's out of control. "Movin' Out" (Billy Joel), "All Shook Up" (Elvis), and "Good Vibrations" (Beach Boys) have all followed. The trend finds itself in London's West End as well where Queen and Rod Stewart (not kidding) have created musicals based on their songs. Others like Chicago-"You're the Inspiration"- are in talks to make a musical. The good news is that the trend may be leveling off. I only spot one jukebox musical for the upcoming year. Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons will pool their songs to present "Jersey Boys." With any luck, this show will go the way of "Good Vibrations" which lasted only 94 performances.

The rest of the season seems run of the mill, but there are a few surprises. "Sweeney Todd" will be revived. If I thoroughly enjoyed my high school's production, the Broadway version will no doubt surpass it. Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are teaming up again for "The Odd Couple." I think I'll purchase tickets now, then sell them on eBay for a 250% profit in December. "Barefoot in the Park" will be revived. This Neil Simon play was my 8th grade forensics piece so I have fond memories. Classic musicals of the 1970's will return including "The Wiz" and "A Chorus Line." Alan Cumming :) will star in "The Threepenny Opera." Oh Cumming! Some movies will find themselves on the Great White Way such as "The Color Purple" and (not making this up) "The Wedding Singer." Some books too like "Lestat" based on Anne Rice's vampire world. Saving the best for last...London is gifting us with "Jerry Springer the Opera!" Rumor has it the finale ends with lesbian KKK members throwing cake at each other after revealing their secret sex scandals. Can't wait!

1 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By far the best blog I have read. Such wit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home