Bonjour Timo

Timo is a 27-year-old guy who is giving the blog thing a whirl. He just wants people to know what he's up to.

Friday, August 19, 2005

All Fired Up


I came across an unexpected mini vacation last week. Dave invited me to go with him and other comedians to Fire Island. If you're not familiar with Fire Island, it's a very thin strip of island located off Long Island. For doing an eight minute stand up routine, Dave received a free motel room at the Ice Palace, and I was right there to take shelter on the floor. I boarded the 8:59 A.M. Long Island Rail train (barely) and two transfers, a cab ride, and a ferry shuttle later, I found myself at Cherry Grove, Fire Island. Fire Island surprised me. I was expecting a very commercial, touristy place, maybe like Coney Island. Rather, Fire Island looks like it hasn't changed in over twenty years. Cars aren't allowed on the island so a system of boardwalks connects everything. The whole trip felt like I was on a Wisconsin camping trip, except stuffed with a little more pizazz.

The night started off at the comedy show at the Ice Palace. I thought the comics did a great job, even if the crowd wasn't all that into it. Afterwards, we headed to Cherry's where the Hot Ass Contest was in session. I wanted to enter, but chickened out after I saw the competition and the competition's ability to shake it on stage. A girl not afraid to bare it all calling herself Dirty Martini won. The best drag queen I have ever seen, Porsche, performed. She sings using her real voice and has the ability to replicate ten to twelve other voices including her dead-on imitation of janis Joplin. The party transitioned to Sunsets on the Bay for my first foam party! I have to admit, it was a lot of fun. The foam filled the dance floor up to our necks. We left the party soaking wet. We finished the night off going to the beach looking at the stars and the ocean which is a pretty cool thing to do at four in the morning. The next day was spent sunning on the beach and swimming in the ocean which was all fine except for getting sunburned and stepping on a jellyfish. My foot still aches. I probably won't get back to Fire Island this summer, but I'm definitely looking forward to next year.


Walking on the boardwalks

Dancing in the foam

A deer walks around the beach. The deer on Fire Island are not afraid of people and that includes topless girls.


Too much sun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home